About the role
We’re looking for a number of talented Hosting Platform Engineers to help us build, manage and scale our customer content hosting platforms.
If you love all things Internet, HTTP, -rwxr-x-r-x, IaC and open source in general, you could find a meaningful opportunity at xneelo. If you are after autonomy, mastery and purpose, come and chat with us. If you find a powerful sense of achievement in putting your skill and personal strengths into action to deliver customer value through world class Web application hosting platforms, then we really want to chat to you.
Location: Remote or Cape Town, South Africa
Timezone: UTC to UTC+3
We have two areas of need:
- Ensure ongoing performance, scalability and features of the current large scale hosting platform.
- Build our next generation Web hosting platform.
The strengths and experience of what we’re looking for will largely be common across both these areas:
- Extensive experience in largely open source based infrastructure systems management.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely, particularly should things not go quite according to the system availability plan.
- Skilled at proactively and hugely reducing the likelihood of the aforementioned plan situation - think SRE and avoiding data loss no matter what.
- Adept at systems thinking, modern IT infrastructure approaches (eg. Infrastructure as code) and applying devops practices to infrastructure management.
- Gets the difference between “done” and “97% done” and the potentially significant costs of the latter.
- Experience in Web hosting at scale will be an advantage.
Our current tech stack and tooling includes Debian Linux, Puppet, Ruby, Jenkins, Apache, Nginx, Proxmox, Openstack, Ceph, Terraform, Docker, Elastic, Gitlab, Yodiz and more. Experience with a reasonable number of these will be important. Even more important is your ability to use these and similar tools to innovate, solve complex IT infrastructure problems and to do this as a strong team player.
Ensuring our current hosting platform continues to play a pivotal role in creating raving fan customers remains a challenging objective and puts even the most seasoned systems engineer through their paces, giving them a strong sense of purpose in their role.
Building our next generation hosting platform will appeal to those who already have good skill and experience in modern infrastructure approaches and have not yet had the chance to see these skills really put to work in building large scale environments, with the highest quality and performance outcomes at play. This is an opportunity to get involved on a significant project while still in the formative stages.
We are looking for talented engineers for these roles and salary will be negotiable, commensurate with your skills and track record.